Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fed Ex Delivers In Snow, Right?

Finally, I will be sending our home study to Kiev via Federal Express tomorrow, where it will be translated and submitted to the adoption authority. Kevin met me at the bank around 4:15 this afternoon to get the power of attorney form notarized. Somehow I managed to make it downtown by 5:00 to have it and our home study apostilled. I will pick them up in the morning, and then I'll head to Fed Ex to have them sent to Kiev where they'll be translated. We are supposed to get a bit of snow here, and it's been snowing in Ukraine. I hope Fed Ex has the same moto as the USPO: "Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail."

For today's quote, I'm quoting the often-read Wikipedia.

"'Carol of the Bells' (also known as the 'Ukrainian Bell Carol') is a choral miniature work originally composed by the Ukrainian composer Mykola Dmytrovych Leontovych. Throughout the composition, Leontovych used a four note motif as an ostinato which was taken from an ancient pagan Ukrainian New Year's chant known in Ukrainian as 'Shchedryk' [the Generous One]. The composer created the piece as an assignment in the applicaton for the use of an ostinato for a harmony course he was studying by correspondence. The original work was intended to be sung a cappella by mixed choir. Two other variants of the composition; one for woman's choir and another for children's choir with piano accompaniment were also created by the composer.

'The Carol of The Bells' was premiered on December 1916 by a choral group made up of students at Kiev University. It was introduced to Western audiences by the Ukrainian National Chorus during its concert tour of Europe and the Americas, where it premiered in the United States on October 5, 1921 at Carnegie Hall. It was later adapted into English language version by Peter Wilhousky in the 1930s. An alternate English version ('Ring, Christmas Bells') with more explicitly Nativity-based lyrics, written by Minna Louise Hohman in 1947, is also widely performed. Still to this day it is sung world wide near New Years Eve and Christmas."


Many great things come from Ukraine!

No comments:

Post a Comment